|Posted by Mark @ Archival Access Victoria on November 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM|
From the PROV –
“This series comprises notebooks of Schools Inspector Gilbert Wilson Brown. Gilbert Wilson Brown became Organising Master and Sub-Inspector of National Schools in March 1858. In 1862 G.W. Brown was appointed as an Inspector of Schools with the Board of Education. He was subsequently appointed as the first Inspector-General of the Education Department which succeeded the Board of Education in 1873. In March 1878 he became Secretary of the Education Department.
The notebooks date from 1860 to 1870 and include the names of the students attending the schools which were visited and sometimes include comments about family and local circumstances. G.W. Brown was not the only inspector of schools so the notebooks will only relate to schools within his inspectorates”
There are 35 notebooks all up in this set of records – each covering a three to five month period between 1860 and 1870. We have begun to index these notebooks and have found the G.W. Brown’s inspectorate appeared to have covered the North East of Victoria (from Kilmore to Bright) and the Northern and Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, as well as some schools in the CBD. The lists of pupils are quite comprehensive, and the assessment of the school buildings and surrounds very descriptive.
As G.W. Brown visited these schools a number of times during the decade the records exists for, it provides a wonderful narrative of the improvements made to the individual school over time. The pupil lists can also help place a family at a certain locality at a point in time, and also allow the tracking of movement if a family relocated in the same district.
Once fully indexed, we will upload the list of all schools G.W. Brown visited, and which periods he visited them – allowing researchers to request digitisation of schools related to their research.