|Posted by Mark @ Archival Access Victoria on December 2, 2011 at 8:50 PM|
This series consists of the files created to record the progress of applications to bring land alienated from the Crown prior to 2 October 1862 into the Torrens system of land registration. This system was introduced by the Real Property Act 1862 (25 VIC., No.140). That Act, and subsequent legislation, provides that a proprietor of "old law" land may make application to have the land incorporated into the Torrens System of Land Registration. Successful applications result in a certificate of title being issued for the land applied for.
These records can be used to trace the ownership of a particular allotment AFTER the Crown Grant was approved, providing details of occupancy/ownership beyond what is shown on a parish map.
To access a file, an application number is require - there are two ways to find this application number -
1. Search by name in ‘VPRS 16705 - Index to Applications for Certificates of Title’ for applications lodged prior to 10 February 1904; or
2. Search by allotment using the Department of Sustainability and Environment’s Land and Survey Spatial Information (LASSI) map. To see our tip sheet on locating an application number on the LASSI map, click here.
NOTE – VPRS 460 contains records relating to application numbers ranging from 1 to 76,499.